DO-GOODERS & DEVIANTS


Just recently, I found myself sitting in a sidewalk cafe, in the small village of Panajachel, high in the mountains of Guatemala. The mission work we had been sent there to accomplish was completed, or so I thought, and I was just looking forward to slipping out of my heavy backpack and sipping down a steaming hot cup of café con leche. My wife and I were both soaking wet and exhausted, because it had been raining steadily all morning long, and we had walked several miles, shopping for those ridiculous take home souvenirs. Needless to say, ministry was the last thing on my mind, at this point.

Then, out of nowhere, an American man with a NFL rain coat, suddenly appeared in front of me. Of course, we struck up a conversation very naturally, and it didn’t take long for him to communicate to me, that he was an American ex-patriot who had been living down there for over 27 years, as the owner of a local hotel chain. The man was in his late 60’s, and he had a very young, very pretty native girl snuggled closely under his arm (take my word for it, this was not his granddaughter). As our conversation progressed, the man began swearing vulgarly, making sexual gestures and overtones to another waitress at the café, and braggadociously enticing me to come and visit one of his hotels.

I knew it would come eventually, and sure enough, he turned and bellowed to me, “So what the heck are you doing down here anyway?” I jokingly replied, “Oh, I’m one of those ‘do-gooders’ that comes down here to preach the gospel!” The term, “do-gooders” was something I had picked up the day before when I overheard another “ex-pat” scornfully describing the missionaries and church groups that were working in the area. The man did a double-take, and then with a dismissing tone, he said, “Yeah, I thought so, you have that smiley-faced look about you.” I really wasn’t in the mood to engage this man in a conversation about his salvation, but more and more, I sensed that the door was opening to do just that. It was one of those “divine appointments” that we Christians talk about, but I wanted to reschedule for a more convenient time. 

Confirming that appointment, however, he sarcastically said, “Yeah, they’re putting up churches on every street corner down here!” The man had a powerful personality, he was obviously well-connected in the village, as well as the United States, and this was not-so-subtlety expressed when he announced that he was “old friends” with Robert Kraft, the owner of the New England Patriots, and that’s why he wore the jacket. So, I sheepishly replied, “Well, they’re just trying to share the truth with people who need to hear it.” “Truth?” he fired back, “People are just supposed to seek their own truth!” He sounded like Pontius Pilate when he demanded from Jesus, “What is truth?” (John 18:38). 

I well knew the answer to that question; Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me” (John 14:6), but I cowardly refrained from saying it to this man, and to my shame, couldn't think of anything else to say either. What was wrong with me? I felt like Elijah being chased by Jezebel! A day earlier, I was standing in front of over 60 Guatemalan and Mayan pastors, and their wives, boldly proclaiming principles of Christian ministry, and now I'm unable to communicate the love of God to one man, who desperately needs to hear it. 

The awkward silence ended by him turning back around to talk to his girlfriend again, and just as quickly as it began, our appointment was over. Not a great example of how to reach the world for the Christ I know, but I would like to highlight my failure as a means of illustrating just how important it is that we cultivate a love for the lost, as well as a crucifixion of our own flesh. I had initiated the conversation with this man, tried to smile and be polite to him, but his mannerisms and language, soon became obnoxious to me, and his overwhelming personality struck the fear of man into my heart. Ultimately, the amount of love in my heart for this man was overshadowed by my own selfishness and lack of Spirit led courage, and on that day I failed miserably! I was the “Deviant”, not the “Do-gooder”!

Obviously, every situation is different, and sometimes it’s just not meant to be, or perhaps we are just there to plant seeds, and represent the love and truth of God to a lost and dying world. In doing that, we should try to meet people where they are, and relate to them at the level they are at, but we can’t do that unless we crucify our own flesh first. The Apostle Paul said it best when he proclaimed, “…to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some” (NKJV 1 Cor 9:22). This has set a tremendous example for us when it comes to dealing with people who don’t know the Lord.

Regretfully, I didn’t accomplish that in Guatemala that day, but rather than focusing on my weak behavior, let’s look at the ministry of Philip, who gives us a great example of meeting people where they are. The first principle to follow in his ministry would be that, we are to be led by the Holy Spirit in our dealings with other people. Consider this passage from the book of Acts: “Now an angel of the Lord spoke to Philip, saying, "Arise and go toward the south along the road which goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza” (Acts 8:26). Oh that the Lord would speak to all of us so clearly, but Philip’s obedience to this command is what facilitates the events that follow.  

Notice, “…he arose and went. And behold, a man of Ethiopia… sitting in his chariot, he was reading Isaiah the prophet. Then the Spirit said to Philip, "Go near and overtake this chariot." So Philip ran to him…” (Act 8:27-30). The man did not understand what he was reading and Philip simply asked if he could help him to understand it. Often, this is the most natural way of communicating God’s love to people, and as a result, a conversation started that resulted in Philip opening his mouth, “…and beginning at this Scripture, preached Jesus to him…” (Act 8:35). This beautiful story ends with the eunuch asking, “What hinders me from being baptized?” to which Philip is able to reply, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.” And he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.” (Act 8:36-37). 

Some might say, “It never works like that in the real world that we live in today!”, but even though the circumstances, and the cultural baggage is different, we are still dealing with the same issues. Here we have a Jewish man with a Christian message in his heart, and an Ethiopian slave from Egypt with a need in his heart to understand that message. Two very different worldviews, that could easily clash with one another, but because of Philip’s sensitivity to the Holy Spirit, obedience to His direction, courage to step out in faith, and the sacrificial love in his heart for a total stranger to receive the gift of salvation through Christ Jesus; this Ethiopian eunuch is in heaven this very day.

Remember, “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life” (John 3:16).

Written By Pastor Glen Mustian, 11/10/2015

Popular Posts