SLIM INDEED!

Image result for mother teresa

Early in my career in the Navy, I was given a position of leadership for which I was woefully inadequately prepared. It was a great experience for me and I learned a lot from it, but I'll never forget the day that I discovered I had been given a new nickname by my subordinates. I noticed that a few of them were starting to call me, "Slim". Now, I wasn't a fat guy at the time, nor was I exactly slim either, so I was puzzled as to how I had acquired such a title, and began to ask around about it. Eventually someone squealed and told me that it was my leadership skills that they were calling into question, as being a bit, "Slim". Slim they were, indeed. They were right and I took it to heart.

Often times, Christians have equally 'Slim' justifications for the things they believe, which dictate how they live their lives. Just recently I was asked, "Are economic sins equal in severity to matters of personal choice and holiness?" After a considerable amount of clarification, I realized that the issue in question was concerning this new hyper-awareness of social injustice around the world and the responsibility that we supposedly have as socially-conscious Christians, to refrain from purchasing things manufactured in questionable circumstances and from living a comfortable lifestyle, when others are not able to do so.  

Well, I don’t find the term, “Economic sin”, mentioned anywhere in Scripture, but I think this is a great modern example of the things that the Apostle Paul dealt with in his epistles. He said, “All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify. Let no one seek his own, but each one the other's well-being. Eat whatever is sold in the meat market, asking no questions for conscience' sake; for "THE EARTH IS THE LORD'S, AND ALL ITS FULLNESS." If any of those who do not believe invites you to dinner, and you desire to go, eat whatever is set before you, asking no question for conscience' sake. But if anyone says to you, "This was offered to idols," do not eat it for the sake of the one who told you, and for conscience' sake; for "THE EARTH IS THE LORD'S, AND ALL ITS FULLNESS." "Conscience," I say, not your own, but that of the other. For why is my liberty judged by another man's conscience? But if I partake with thanks, why am I evil spoken of for the food over which I give thanks? Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense, either to the Jews or to the Greeks or to the church of God, (NKJV …1Cor 10:23-32)”  

I feel that it is a waste of our precious time and resources to research these things, because we cannot be expected to have knowledge and discernment of every evil that takes place in the world, and have a working plan for how that should effect our purchasing habits. However, we are responsible for the things that we do have knowledge of and, "...to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin. (James 4:17)” Beyond that, it just feeds into the social gospel narrative that is playing out in the modern church today.

For instance, social engineering Christian scholar, Brian Howell passionately approves of Mother Theresa, who most notably, "…insisted that Christians have a responsibility to reject unsustainably consumptive lifestyles and a growth-oriented economic model in favor of simple and sustainable living. (Howell 219)” But since we are quoting from Mother Theresa, a woman who believed that Mary, the mother of Jesus, is a mediator between God and ourselves and as such, plays a role in our salvation. (Challies)”, I guess that just proves how far we are veering off from biblical Christianity when we seek to justify such positions. 

Theresa also stated that, “…We never try to convert those who receive [aid from Missionaries of Charity] to Christianity but in our work we bear witness to the love of God’s presence and if Catholics, Protestants, Buddhists, or agnostics become for this better men — simply better — we will be satisfied. (Challies)” So, I would like to point out the fact that, while she might be the perfect poster child and probably a fitting godmother to these philosophical ideas of global inequality, social injustice, and “Blame it all on Western Capitalism” mantra being preached in the world today, even by many in the church, her claims are not justified by Scripture anymore than the garbage I hear being taught every day in the; sociology, philosophy, and ethics classes I take at the secular humanist college I attend. 

This sort of emphasis has given rise to the mission creep currently being accelerated in the modern church toward the preaching of the social gospel and not the Gospel of Jesus Christ! Mother Theresa epitomizes the folly of feeding, nurturing, and coddling lost human beings, right up to the gates of hell, while making them feel better about the journey and the destination, rather than leading people to Christ and discipling them in their faith. Very slim indeed!

By Pastor Glen Mustian

Works Cited:
Challies, Tim. The Myth Of Mother Teresa. Web. 2003.
Howell, Brian M.. Introducing Cultural Anthropology: A Christian Perspective (p. 219). Baker Publishing Group.
NKJV New King James Version. Holy Bible. Thomas Nelson. Nashville, TN: 2000. Print.

Popular Posts